Monday, February 13, 2006

Gods Faith?

I have been pondering the need for faith recently because of a thread on a discussion forum. The question was "Why do we need faith?". The question was posed by an atheist, so I didn't want to approach the answer by saying "Because that's what the scriptures say." I knew that I would need to use the scriptures though. Here is what I came up with. Perhaps it was a little doctrineally deep, but here is what I said anyway.

Heb. 11: 3
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Even God is required to have faith. The world(s) were created through faith. I think that perhaps faith is the glue that holds the universe together.

Christ Said:
Matt. 5: 48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

So, we are to become like God. This means that we too must learn to excercize faith.

Yes, God could show us everything, but no lesson would be learned. We will need faith in the hereafter. So, we need to learn, understand it and be able to use it while we are here.


So, my fellow bloggers. My question to you is, what does God have faith in? What does God need to have faith in to create the world(s)?

7 comments:

Eric Nielson said...

I guess I disagree with God needing faith. Knowledge eventually replaces faith and if we believe that God is all knowing then he lacks faith. Right?

I suppose at one time he did have faith, as man is .....

But I believe that we will eventually replace our faith in things which are true with knowledge of things which are true.

Unknown said...

Perhaps then, Heb 11:3 is referring to Adams and Christs faith for creating the world, since God only directed the work.

So, if God does not need faith, what does he have a knowledge of?

Eric Nielson said...

Everything.

Unknown said...

Right. I'm not sure that I'm making myself clear.

The central question is, if as Hebrews says, that the world was formed by faith, whos faith were they created by?

I feel that if we are to truly beleive in Eternal progression, then we must beleive that God is still progressing. If he is still progressiong, then I think that he has to have some kind of faith in something.

Unknown said...

I mean, by faith we progress here. Do you think that we won't need faith after we leave?

Eric Nielson said...

Does Heb 11:3 really say what you claim? Is the faith referred to in the verse not our faith instead of God's?

Unknown said...

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. - Inigo Montoya

Ah, I see what you are saying. That we know through faith that God created the earth.

That does make more sense.