Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Mormon Republicans, Mormon Democrats...

I always find it strange that members of the church who are Republican are alway trashing Democrats. Somehow they assume that all Mormons are Republicans. I am always amused by this when president Hinckly himself said that members of the church can belong to any political party.

Here is President Hinckley himself;

"Q. It says, Given the platform and positions taken by the Democratic Party, can you be a good church member and a Democrat?

A. Yes, I think so. I don't know why you couldn't. It depends on what you believe as a Democrat in terms of some things. There are some things we don't subscribe to. We've got lots of Democrats in the church, lots of them, and they are good people. I don't worry about that too much. This is Washington. I better be careful of what I say. Well, we've got a Democratic presidency and another candidate marked out for the future."
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,155008723,00.html
I don't think there is much wiggle room in this statement. There are lots of us :-)

Also, one of the men I respect the most, Harry Reid. He gives a good interview where he answers questions about his beliefs and his party afiliation.
http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/13779

I mean, I can see why some people get on their high horse and say that democrats are evil because they are for abortion and gays. Well, I am against any form of on demand abortion, and I am not pro-gay for sure, but there are other ethical issues that are far more important to me than the personal life of some people I have yet to meet. The illegal war in Iraq for instance.

That is something i'm worried about.

3 comments:

Kim Siever said...

"we've got a Democratic presidency"

Is he talking about the first Presidency?

Unknown said...

No, I don't think so. I beleive that he made this statement while Clinton was President, so he is referring to the President of the United States.

Kim Siever said...

Oh, right. It was from five years ago. That makes sense.